The symptoms of hearing loss can appear slowly, or can come about suddenly. Here are some common signs of impaired hearing. Hearing loss commonly occurs as you age, especially over the age of 65. Chronic exposure to loud noises is also a significant contributor to hearing loss. There are several common signs that indicate you are experiencing hearing loss.
- Frequently asking people to repeat themselves.
- Increasing the television volume to new levels.
- Difficulty hearing in the presence of background noise.
- Ringing, roaring and/or hissing sounds in the ears.
- Difficulty following conversations in group situations.
- Misunderstanding words – often thinking others are “mumbling” – and responding inappropriately.
- Difficulty hearing on the telephone.
- Increased isolation from social situations.
Call Wilmington Audiology Services at (302) 654-1011 for more information or to schedule an appointment.